Cleansing Ayurveda Kitchari
1/2 cup basmati rice
1 cup mung dal (split yellow)
6 cups water
2 tsp. ghee
1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, chopped or grated
1 tsp. coriander powder
1 tsp. cumin powder
1 tsp fennel seed
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
2 cups assorted vegetables
Handful of fresh cilantro leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Soak 1 cup mung dal in a bowl of water overnight. Drain and rinse untl water runs clear.
- In a medium sauce pan, add the water, rice and soaked dal and cook covered until it becomes soft, about 25 minutes.
- Prepare any vegetables that suit your constitution. Cut them into bite size pieces. Add the fresh ginger and vegetables to the cooked rice and dal mixture and cook 10 minutes longer.
- In a separate saucepan, over low heat, add the ghee and sauté spices to release the flavors. Stir the sautéed spices into the cooked dal, rice, and vegetable mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired. Garnish with cilantro and serve.