Winter Kale Quinoa Salad
To Make the Dressing:
- 2 cups roasted sweet potatoes, small dice (not peeled)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped very fine (shredded consistency)
- 1 medium apple, small dice
- ¼ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4-5 pitted Medjool dates, finely chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, lightly toasted, chopped
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Course salt and ground pepper to taste
Optional: Top with ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, toss sweet potato with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Set aside.
- Prepare the quinoa by combining 1 1/4 cups water with 1 cup quinoa in a small pot. Bring to a boil, turn heat to low and cook covered for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked and the water is completely gone. Let stand with lid for another 5-7 minutes then fluff with a fork.
- In a small skillet, over high heat, toast the walnuts, stirring frequently, until they release nutty aroma. Transfer them to a small bowl and let cool.
- In a large separate bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing.
- Add the finely shredded kale leaves and use your hand to mix the salad, making sure all the leaves are well coated. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes until the oil is absorbed and the kale softens and wilts in size.
- Add the cooked sweet potatoes, cooked quinoa, apples, onions, dates and walnuts to the kale and toss until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Yield: 2 - 4 Servings