Quinoa Stuffed Kabocha Squash
- 2 medium kabocha squash, halved and seeds removed
- 2 teaspoons and 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ½ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup dried unsweetened cherries
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Brush flesh of squash with 2 tablespoons oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast cut side down on two baking sheets until tender and caramelized about 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a small skillet over low-medium heat, toast pine nuts until deep golden brown. Set aside.
- In a fine mesh strainer, rinse quinoa until water runs clear.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, add the rinsed quinoa and dry roast, stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated and you begin to smell a nutty aroma. Add water.
- Bring to a boil, turn down heat to low and cover, cooking for 15 minutes or until all liquid is evaporated. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and mix in remaining oil, goat cheese, mustard, cherries, parsley and scallion. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide filling among squash and serve.